Research Development and Collaboration

We appreciate your interest in our lab. HCI lab, Hokkaido University welcomes international research collaboration to conduct top-quality HCI, HRI, and HAI research. We are also happy to host visiting researchers/professors to stay in our lab and conduct collaborative research.

Joint Research

Our lab is open for international research development and collaboration. If you are a person in Industry, we are happy to have an opportunity to conduct joint research to accelerate your idea and concept to make a research prototype. As a research institute, we are experts having knowledge about HCI, HRI, and HAI researchers. We can support your research activity in various ways. If you are an academic researcher, we are happy to apply for an international funding program in your country. We have experience in writing international research proposals. It is our pleasure to join your international research team to apply for the funding program.


Joint Research (Japanese only)


If you want to start an HCI, HRI, and HAI research in your company, but you don’t know how to do it. We can help! Hokkaido University offers an “Academic Consulting,” in which university professors will give advice on your projects. As professionals of academic research, we will review a study plan, have a discussion on experimental design, and talk about a design to produce a new product. We are happy to help you at any stage of your research project. If you want to try to submit an academic paper to the top-tier conference (CHI, UIST, HRI, HAI, and SIGCHI-related conference), we can also support you. We have dozens of conference papers published around those venues. Our research group is one of the productive labs in Japan; if you are looking for an Asian, or Japanese research partner, we can be the one for you.


Academic Consulting (Japanese only)

Visiting researcher/professor

If you are looking for a lab to stay in Japan, we are happy to host you. If you are a self-funded researcher/professor stay in our lab, which is great. We don’t have a budget to host a visiting researcher/professor, but there is a couple of funding program in Japan. Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) has several fellowship programs for young career researchers to professors.

National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT) offers an International Exchange Program, which is available for professor-level researchers.

Our university has a visiting professor program, to which we can apply. So, we have several options for you. Anyways, If you are interested, please contact us. We can discuss what is available and what is not. We are happy to hear from you.